20 Non-Traditional Wedding Ideas
When planning a wedding, one of the most overwhelming aspects of it can be trying to please everybody. For some reason, weddings are just one of those things that everyone – and we do mean EVERYONE – is going to have an opinion on. Be prepared for well-meaning advice from all corners suggesting how your wedding should be! However, here at WhereToElope.com, we understand that you are an individual and you do not want the same cookie-cutter wedding that everyone else has. You want something unique that reflects who you are. That is why we have rounded up 20 of the best non-traditional wedding ideas to inspire your creative side. After all – it doesn’t get much more non-traditional than eloping!
Non-Traditional Wedding Options
- Elope – As noted above, it doesn’t get much more non-traditional than ditching the wedding completely and eloping instead! You will reduce your stress levels, save money and have the wedding you want – your way!
- Choose a Unique Venue – Whether you are going to elope or simply have a small wedding, make it a little out of the ordinary by choosing a unique venue. We have lots of great options for you to choose from – get married on a glacier, in a forest, in a kayak or even underwater!
- Elope On Vacation – An increasingly popular idea is for couples to combine their vacation with a destination wedding.
- Spontaneous Elopement – Eloping used to be about running off spontaneously to get married. All that has changed, but that doesn’t mean you can’t elope on the spur of the moment! Lot’s of states still allow for same day marriage licenses!
Non-Traditional Wedding Ceremonies
- Choose Groomspeople/Bridespeople – Traditionally, the bride has her bridesmaids and the groom his groomsmen. However, the days when friendship was dictated by gender are long gone so why not have a mix of both sexes in your wedding party! Lots of brides choose a Best Mate over a Best Maid and we have seen many a groom with his Best Girl instead of a Best Man.
- Have a Unity Ceremony – If the traditional vows are not for you, then why not add a unity ceremony to your wedding. Many of our vendors offer a range of unity potions using candles or sand in a symbolic act of joining together.
- Try Handfasting – Another alternative to the traditional wedding vows is handfasting. The practice dates back to 16th century Scotland making a great fit for eloping! Your hands will be symbolically tied together using ribbon or cord.
- Jump The Broom – Another old tradition that many couples like to include is jumping the broom. The practice has pagan roots but became popular in America when African slaves would include it in marriages. The broom represents sweeping away past wrongs and starting with a clean slate.
- Choose a Unique Officiant – One of the struggles many couples have is that they are not religious and so feel odd having a minister officiate at their wedding. However, there are lots of options out there for humanist or non-denominational Officiants. You could even head to Vegas and get married by Elvis!
Non-Traditional Wedding Celebration Ideas
- Choose An Alternative Toast – Usually the wedding toast is done with champagne, wine or sparkling cider. Why not change it up with your favorite drink? Who says you cannot toast with beer or a latte.
- Choose Your Favorite Cake or Dessert – It is surprising just how many people don’t like traditional fruit wedding cake. If you are one of them – or even if you are not – say no! Choose your favorite cake, cupcakes, brownies or desserts as an alternative to wedding cake.
- Go It Alone – This wedding is all about you and your partner. Why include anyone else? Go it alone and have an intimate elopement ceremony for just the two of you.
- Dance Down the Aisle – Eloping might mean not having a traditional reception and missing that first dance. Why not make up for it by dancing down the aisle together once you have exchanged vows!
Non-Traditional Wedding Details
- Don’t Wear White – You don’t need to wear white at your wedding. Choose a dress in your favorite color – or ditch the dress mess altogether and wear whatever you are comfortable in!
- Swap Flowers for Something Else – Swap the traditional floral bouquet for something different. We have seen brides carry ferns, a paper bouquet or even elaborate creations made from crystal, seashells or jewelry! Get creative!
- Wear a Hat Instead of a Veil – Think about alternatives to a veil. You could wear a hat, a fancy hair ornament or no head covering at all!
- Spend Time Together Before The Wedding – Traditionally the bride should not see her groom before the wedding but who cares about tradition! Make your wedding a special, intimate celebration of your love for each other and spend the hours leading up to the ceremony together.
- Ditch The Heels – Many women are not really fans of high heels, but there is a lot of pressure to have ‘wedding heels’. We say – why? If you don’t want to wear heels on your wedding day then choose something else! Sneakers, cowgirl boots, wellingtons, bare feet! The choice is all yours!
- Paperless Invites – We live in an increasingly digital age and with a non-traditional wedding comes a non-traditional invitation. We love the idea of digital invites whether that means a text message, an email or even a Facebook blast!
- Livestream The Wedding – If you are eloping or having a small wedding then your guest list is likely to be limited. Make sure those not in attendance don’t miss out by live streaming your wedding ceremony!